1. WHAT IS YOUR TITLE, AND WHAT DO YOU DO?
I was appointed as a Minister of State to the Cabinet of the United Arab Emirates in 2008. I work on special projects assigned by the Prime Minister, and am also the Managing Director of Dubai’s Bid to host the World Expo in the UAE in 2020. I am also the chairperson of the Emirates Competitiveness Council, Dubai Cares as well as the National Bureau of Statistics.
2. PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR ROLE IN THE FAMILY, WIFE, MOTHER CARETAKER??
I am a daughter to incredible parents, and a big sister to two younger siblings. I am also a wife to a dear husband and friend. I highly value the sanctity of family and I take my role seriously to provide support and understanding to my family members.
3. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE A TYPICAL DAY?
My days are fairly full – I try to carve out time every day for the people I love, and ensure that I maintain a sense of quality day in and day out. I also enjoy yoga very much, so I try to arrange for sessions at least three times a week.
4. IN YOUR CAREER, WHAT GOALS DO YOU HAVE, AND WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO TAKE THIS PATH?
I have always been drawn to public service. I respect very much the government of the United Arab Emirates and all the commitment it has shown to provide an environment of safety and prosperity for all who live within her borders. I believe in the importance of giving back to society and I hope to be able to continue this work.
5. IF YOU COULD CHANGE THE WORLD IS WHERE I STARTED WITH THIS QUESTION BUT I PREFER TO SAY … WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD AND KNOWING THAT WHAT DO YOU INTEND TO DO TO BE A PART OF THE CHANGE?
I think primary education is critical. There are far too many children around the world who do not have access to education. 2/3 of these children are girls. Unless we can break the barriers of education access, poverty and inequality will continue to grow and fester around the world.
6. WHAT TYPE OF STYLE IS MOST COMFORTABLE FOR YOU, AND WORKS BEST FOR YOUR TYPE OF WORK?
I like simple fabrics. I also appreciate a natural, corporate and balanced style. I am often on the go, travelling and rushing through my days so I appreciate a style that embraces my work, and does not hinder my movement or flow.
7. WHAT TYPE OF PARTNER IS NECESSARY FOR A WOMAN WHO BELIEVES SHE CAN DO IT ALL?
A partner that also believes she can do it – a partner that is supportive and that views her as an intellectual thought partner and friend. Mutual respect and admiration of one another’s achievements and aspirations are critical for a successful relationship.
8. WHO IS YOUR MENTOR? DESCRIBE
My mother is my mentor. Her strength, determination and perseverance in the face of adversity inspire me every day. Her love and appreciation of life inspire me to not take anything for granted.
9. HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR SELF ESTEEM WHEN IT IS CHALLENGED?
It is easy to lose sense of perspective. I try to remember how women have often struggled with their self-esteem - we are our worst enemies. Taking a moment to breathe and recalibrate is very important. Yoga helps me with this a lot.
10. BEST ADVICE TO SHARE FROM YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE.
Work / life balance is important. Perspective and balance is the most valuable lesson I have learnt and I keep trying to discover the full meaning of that.